Sunday 22 February 2015

Semester 6

That's right! Semester 6 is just around the corner.

Sunday, that is today, I spent the morning cleaning my hostel room and bringing my stuffs back to my humble abode away from home. Not too long later today, I realised that the semester break is about to come to a close and Chinese New Year is not even close to being over. That certainly isn't a pleasant feeling but as always, good things don't always last forever and sometimes, we have to go through certain hardships in order to be able to savour the goodness of having a restful break. This is definitely true. Imagine someone being born with a silver spoon (or probably 24-karat gold) and has never had a taste of pain, suffering or despair in his or her palate of emotions, certainly he or she will never be able to feel the satisfaction that can be gained if one is finally free of these rather negative emotions. But of course, there are certain individuals who are kind and caring and yet, have never ever felt the more nasty side of the human emotions.

Back to the topic shall we? In two days (good for me, I am skipping the first day of class, WHEE!), these shall be a few things that I will be missing for a couple of months:

i. Sleeping on my favourite, comfortable pillow. I love the cotton pillow that is on my bed at home, plainly because it absorbs heat easily and dissipates heat well, so it doesn't feel as hot as using pillows that are made up of synthetic fibres, which makes me feel really uncomfortable. Couple that up with my skin problems, it will make my skin itch like a cat with a mange infection.

ii. Waking up as late as I want to. Yes, this is something we will ALL miss doing, especially when one has already got into the workforce. And perhaps this may even be the last semester break when I can actually wake up whenever I want to. I don't really sleep like a log, but being able to wake up at anytime of the day certainly is a privilege. To think that I have 8 a.m. classes this coming semester, I believe I will miss lazing in the bed in the morning a lot. Like a lot. *stretches hands out wide*

iii. Comfortable toilet! The toilets in the hostel are actually pretty fine and quite typical for any hostel that you may find. What isn't really fine is that the water gets accumulated gradually when there are many people using the shower cubicles at a go, as such, the drains get rid of wastewater rather slowly, thanks to smarty-pants who throw everything from shavers, empty shampoo bottles and even toothbrush down the drains. Sometimes, the poo-poo gets stuck on these objects that are considered rather odd to be found in a drainage pipe. At the same time, I cannot poo-poo and shower at the same time, poo-poo and shower are to be done in two separate cubicles. Sad! No warm shower in the morning too. Over the years, cold water is pretty much something I am used too already.

iv. Fridge, stove and washing machine! Well, as we all know, these inventions made our lives so much easier my helping us ease the petty stuffs. Needless to say, without these inventions, there are many things we can't do. I can't have frozen food, no cooking, handwashing my clothes. It's back to the medieval times, baby! Thank the Lord, there is a hot water dispenser just a about 25 metres away from my room. Else, I be burning down the whole building when I go into a rampage. Ram-page.

v. Transport. I hate to drive but I will definitely prefer to drive rather than take a bus that's full with people and one that is rarely on time. Meow?

Perhaps, this may look like something that borders on complaining? Hardships do make us stronger and through all these, I guess I learn to appreciate the petty and small things I have in life. Of course, there will be certain aspirations and goals to achieve this coming semester. Objectives keep all of us in the right path and direction, regardless of the route taken (a general statement of Hess' Law, applied to reactions that may take place through several and often, theoretical pathways). What might it be?

i. The prime goal of every semester is to remain first class. Hopefully, this semester goes on smoothly and all will fall into place. Thankfully, every semester has been great, thanks to my loving, helpful and also kind lecturers that are willing to help us out. Just another three more semesters to remain in first class! RAWR!

ii. Of course, the journey of discovery isn't over. I am gradually and also continuously learning new things about myself and also constantly trying to improve myself from the broken and weak person that I am. We are never perfect and that's why perfection seems so good to all of us. Not forgetting studies, too. This coming semester will be a little tough, especially taking on Principles of Economics, Organic Chemistry III and also Chemical Thermodynamics. Economics will be a new thing for me but hopefully, it won't be tough. Just like how I took the bull by the horns when I registered to take up basic level Korean two semesters ago, I will be doing the same for this. Organic Chemistry III will be an advanced course on organic chemistry, ranging from mechanisms, synthesis, organometallic compounds and also some topics of pericyclic reactions. Interesting but as always, organic chemistry is a hell lots of electrons jumping everywhere... And thermodynamics, the word itself sounds like a monster. I like monstrosities, bring on the challenge baby!

iii. This is totally out of my hands but I certainly hope that the selection panel will select me as a candidate for the Amgen Scholarships Programme to Japan. I am dying to go to Japan since the start of high school and my interest for Japan has never waned. My previous almost-going-to-Japan experiences were not so good and hopefully, this time, I will be able to travel to Japan, even if this is just a one-time experience. At the same time, the course coordinator for the industrial training course allows this programme to be counted as an industrial placement, should I be able to get through this. Definitely a kill-two-birds-with-one-stone. Crossing my fingers!

If you are going to start your new semester soon, tell me what you aspire to achieve! Or if you are going back to work, has the holiday done you any good, or has it changed your life in any way, big or small?

Love,
Wing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?