Saturday 7 March 2009

This week's post: Till March 7th 2009. [10 sen]

This week's atmosphere: Busy, busy, busy. Only busy.
This week's mood: Emoism
This week's motto/ advice: Eat more chocolates!


I didn't realise a value of a 10 sen coin until yesterday (not that I don't appreciate 10 sen, but yesterday's incident made me realise the value of a 10 sen coin). It made me think about 10 sen a lot. Well, my brother dropped a 10 sen coin into the toilet bowl yesterday while he was blasting the toilet bowl with you-know-what(he dropped the coin AFTER he flushed the toilet bowl...). He came out of the toilet smiling with a one-of-a-kind face. Told my sister that he dropped a 10 sen coin into the toilet bowl.

I went to rescue the coin. Not worth the effort dirtying your own hands for 10 sen. But suddenly a thought stirred up in my mind. Think of it. The effort of producing a 10 sen coin might even cost more than the coin itself. Lets start from the beginning right? Firstly, you have to extract copper from their constituent ore to obtain pure copper (electrolysis anyone?). After that, you might have to dope the coin with a dopant (whatever you call that) to obtain an alloy (explains why 10 sen isn't really brown in colour), then you have to cut the coins into pieces, and then send it to the minting factory. Still think 10 sen is still worth 10 sen? I haven't even went in to the details of electrolysis, still, it's clear enough already.

I realised that many things in life that's analogous to a 10 sen coin is taken lightly among people, especially among us people who are very much more priviliged than many other poorer people. Examples? Nobody would realise how important table salt is right? Soap? That's what we use everyday, lah. What about friends, family and the littlest things in life?

Really kind of hard to explain all those. But experienced people (I mean REALLY experienced people) will understand me, maybe even add more things to what I'm writing about. Do'h! But this 10 sen coin experience is telling me to appreciate these small things, because you might never know they are a part of something great and big. Right?


=chickenwings=

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?