Saturday 24 January 2015

Oh no. No. No. No.

So, it's that time of the month again where I have to be an usher in church again. A bi-monthly affair, actually. Not that I am complaining but there are some things that disturb me.

Plainly, something that I find unsettling is the fact that the most pious of people are usually the ones with the most pathetic and sad personality. Back the to previous round when I was ushering, probably just before Christmas last year, I was quite appalled to see one of my church's senior member did something that didn't really quite agree to the spirit of being a Christian. Although we are all fallen creatures, according to the Scriptures, I don't think that what he did was appropriate. This senior member made a member of the Indonesian congregation (which completed their morning service not long before ours were to start) clean up the church compound which was soiled black from soot, probably coming from people burning offering paper for their deities nearby. It wouldn't hurt just taking the broom to clean up but this had to happen. Totally not cool. Occasionally, I question Christians on their faith. We put so much emphasis on the Word, on Christ and yet we fail to live like servants, like Him. At times, I see people from church are no different from Pharisees. So into the Word but at the same time, so far from it. I have to admit I am not a perfect Christian myself but from a human point-of-view, is this what someone who calls himself or herself Christian should do? I find it a bitter fact to swallow, that many Christians are like that. Partly the reason why I try to avoid joining Christian events. If I am in one, I keep my eyes on Him. It's disturbing to see so many hypocrites in the guise of holy-molies.

That being put aside, life has been pretty smooth, simple and also laid-back ever since finals were over. When my "predicted results" were in, my heart almost fell through the ground, popped up on the other side of Earth and came back to the socket where it belongs. A sharp drop of 0.071 from my previous pointer of 3.957 to 3.886. Statistically, it still puts me in first-class, nothing to be worried about, right? I left the thought for a moment. Enjoyed life nevertheless. Suddenly, this thought came knocking. Unwillingly, I took out my calculator and some paper to do the math (WHO IN THE WORLD DOES MATH ON SEMESTER BREAKS?). Stunned, my calculations show that I scored a measly 3.575. That shocked me for a moment. How? I was always in the dean's list and never have I fell below first-class before. I guess, humans are meant to fail once in a while, no? And there I thought, this is it for this semester. A few days later... Things changed slightly for the better. The pointer increased slightly from 3.886 to 3.956. I couldn't be happier! Guess they were trolling with students, perhaps? I can foresee quite a good Chinese New Year ahead. Who are Monkeys of the Chinese zodiac? Raise your hands and let me hear you holler!

Oh yes. I have not done any shopping for CNY. No new clothes (I wish I had) but as I grow up, I slowly realise that CNY isn't (always) about new clothes, new everythings. You tend to become satisfied and happy just being in the presence of those who you love and care for. (Of course, having Hermes or Gucci for CNY isn't bad, just saying. *winks*) So, in case I am too lazy to blog until who-knows-when, I wish you and your family a warm and blessed Chinese New Year and may prosperity, wealth and love be upon your household throughout this (rather challenging) year ahead and to my non-Chinese readers, happy holidays (or you can always just drop by any Chinese homes and harvest red packers, just pretend like as if you know them!). HUAT A!

Lots of love,

Wing

2 comments:

  1. Just let the results come out as official as they are dude! Speculations ain't good for nothing!!!

    As for new clothes for CNY, its like a must in typical Chinese families; even more so when Hokkiens go for the Tee Gong prayers in Lunar 8th night when red clothes become musts for all family members hahaha.

    Take the chill pill. As long as you graduate with 1st class, you will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well I am kancheong! Sitting at home doing nothing makes me restless. :) Trying to go out more often, thanks!

      Coming from a Christian home, clothes isn't really a thing for CNY but it's still very fun to shop for clothes. May your CNY be ANG ANG ANG~ HUAT AAAAA~

      xo

      Delete

Your thoughts?